This two-part live online Internal Communications training course covers employee communications from A to Z. You will learn to design sophisticated internal communication strategies, plans and campaigns. Topics include change management and best practice on how to communicate with employees in times of uncertainty or crisis.
Two half-days | Monday-Tuesday | 09:00-13:00 London time | Live on Zoom | US$600
Strategic role of internal communication
This module explores and defines the core principles, aims, organisational models and concepts that underlie practical and strategic internal communications.
- Strategic goals and objectives of internal communication
- The business case for internal communication
- Golden rules of effective internal communications
- Essential reasons to engage your workforce
- Organisational models for internal communications
Internal communication strategy and planning
This module covers how to create an internal communication strategy complete with organisational systems and a practical action plan.
- The IC strategy framework and planning cycle
- Understanding your audience
- Defining your messages
- Selecting your channels
- Business ownership for internal communications and the profile of the IC specialist
Internal communication tools and channels
This module looks at how to select and deploy the right channels and tools for internal communications.
- Auditing and selecting the right channels
- Trends in internal communications
- Technology and collaboration tools
- The use of social media for internal communication
- The importance of the information cascade
Internal communication campaigns
This module covers international best practice for effective and creative internal communication campaigns.
- Creating effective and creative internal communication campaigns
- The creative thinking process and toolbox
- Showcase of international best practice campaigns
- How to add creativity to your own IC campaigns
This module explores how internal communication can support change within the organisation.
- Change programmes and sources of change
- A practical roadmap for communicating change
- Motivating employees during change
- Handling the downside; communicating bad news
- Keys to successful knowledge management
Communicating with staff in uncertain times
This module explores the role of internal communication in times of uncertainty and crisis.
- The role of employers during times of uncertainty
- Becoming the voice of authority for the organisation
- Clear & concise communication in crisis
- Making remote working work
- Communicating during COVID-19
Internal communication in a crisis
This module explores role of internal communication during a crisis that impacts an organisation.
- Preventing internal issues from becoming a crisis
- The role of the internal communicator in crisis management
- Communicating with employees during a crisis
- Supporting employees during trauma
- Aligning your internal and external communications in times of crisis
Measuring the effectiveness of internal communication
This module looks at how practitioners can measure the overall effectiveness of their internal communications activities.
- The importance of measurement and evaluation
- Setting SMART objectives
- Measurement tools & tactics
- What to do with the data?
- Setting IC budgets
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Define and articulate the strategic principles, aims and rationale for internal communications
- Create an internal communication strategy for your organisation
- Design organisational systems and a practical action plan for internal communication
- Deploy internal communication across all of the key channels and platforms using a toolbox of techniques
- Support and engage employees in times of uncertainty or during a crisis
- Successfully measure the impact of internal communications
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications and/or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques. This course is recommended for managers, executives, communication and PR professionals required to design, manage or evaluate internal communications strategies, campaigns or activities.